May 5, 2011
As promised, here is a Q & A with Holly where she tells us her favorites on everything from her favorite designer to her favorite spot for a cheap date night! Enjoy!
1. Artist: Paul Klee and Alice Neel
2. Art Event: Art Perchance at the Minneapolis Institute of Art
3. Bar: The Local, downtown
4. Book: The Sartorialist
5. Chair: The Egg Chair
6. Color: No. 2 pencil yellow and Midnight Blue by Crayola
7. Concert Venue: Red Rocks and The MN Zoo
8. Design Icon: Sienna Miller
9. Flower: Ranunculus
10. Food: Huevos Rancheros
11. Gift Shop: I Like You in North East Minneapolis
12. Guilty Pleasure: Bacon!
13. Hobby: painting with the kids!
14. Jewelry: round silver studs and fun cocktail rings
15. Museum: Minneapolis Institute of Art - I’m an Art History major!
16. Musical Artist: just one? :) Caroline Smith and the Goodnight Sleeps
17. Place for Lunch: Thanh Do on Minnetonka Blvd – Vietnamese Egg Roll Salad
18. Restaurant: Travail and The Sample Room
19. Spot for cheap date night: Bryant Lake Bowl
20. Summer Activity: lakeside with the kids, friends, and a margarita!
21. Spot for retro furniture: Spinario in North East Minneapolis
22. Spot for new trendy home accessories: Garage sales and Roam.
23. Vacation Destination: my bed. I love my bed.
24. Winter Activity: Snowshoeing in the woods.
25. Design Magazine: Domino – I miss you!
May 3, 2011
Q & A with Amber!
The CityPages came out with their ‘best of’ list a couple weeks ago, so why can’t we do the same thing? When Amber was asked, “what’s your favorite…” Here’s what she had to say…
1. Artist Mondrian. I love his use of bold color and black lines to distinguish space.
2. Bar for unique cocktails Bradstreet Crafthouse in the Graves Hotel.
3. Color Red. The color red makes me happy; it adds a snappy pop of color to any outfit!
4. Chair My favorite is an orange mid century modern chair I got from my grandma. I love the shape and the color. My grandma has great taste!
5. Design period Mid Century Modern. I love the clean lines and innovative use of materials.
6. Flower Gerbera daisies and Spider Mums… they remind me of springtime.
7. Gift shop Patina; they have something for everyone.
8. Guilty pleasure watching Glee… shhh don’t tell anyone! :)
9. Hobby Being crafty; I am in a “Stitch N’ Bitch” club – we get together once a month and create everything from candles to sock monkeys!
10. Jewelry anything vintage – usually found at Hunt and Gather in Edina or other thrifty places.
11. Museum Milwaukee Art Museum; designed by Eero Saarinen, David Kahler, and Santiago Calatrava. It even has ‘wings’ that open and close during the day!
12. Musical Artist Dessa – she is a lyrical acrobat!
13. Restaurant of the Moment I’ve been really digging Urban Eatery. They took over the old ‘View’ restaurant in Calhoun Beach Club, and it’s run by the Crave guys. They have yummy food, a sexy atmosphere, and a great happy hour!
14. Summer Activity Spending time at the lakes. Depending on your mood, you can bike, play volleyball, have a picnic, or just relax and people watch. I love it.
15. Spot for retro furniture and accessories Spinario Design in Northeast. They have it all!
16. Spot for new and trendy home accessories Roam on Glenwood in Minneapolis.
17. Winter Activity Seeing the British Advertising Awards presented at the Walker Art Center; they are always so interesting. I’m not much for the cold outdoors!
What are some of your favorites? Stay tuned for Holly’s answers…
April 5, 2011
Spring is in the air! It’s warming up, the snow is melting, and it’s staying lighter longer… you gotta love spring! I know we have been looking forward to it, here at hauthaus.
We thought we would highlight some fun products to help get you in the mood for the new season…
Having a spring brunch? What about pouring fresh squeezed orange juice from this lovely floral ceramic pitcher from Anthropologie?
Do you need something to make spring cleaning a little more enjoyable? Pick up one of these ‘mum scrubbers’ at Patina Stores.
The white bud vase, also from Patina, is a great little display vase for individual flowers.
And, who doesn’t love the smell of fresh-cut grass? Try this fresh-cut grass candle to really make your home smell like spring is in the air!
(products from right to left: pitcher: Anthropologie, Mum scrubbers: Patina Stores, Yellow flower ring: Stella & Dot, white bud vase: Patina Stores, Flower pendant light: Pottery Barn, Green floral purse: Patina Stores, Orange sheet set: Crate & Barrel, grass candle: available at many locations, floral upholstered side chair: Anthropologie.)
March 29, 2011
He’s our new little office mascot.
He thinks he is a very helpful assistant, but most days he is better at looking cute than assisting at anything!
Here he is ‘helping’ me with our Secret Wallpaper Project…
I think he is trying to decide which one is his favorite.
Now if only we could train him to bring us our daily designer essentials like; drafting dots, number 2 pencils, and dark chocolate!